Thursday, November 28, 2013

Record Buying Road Trip

I have a friend who does a lot of artifact hunting. He hunts bottles, arrowheads, uses a metal detector. I took some pics of him out on a beach and was going to put a couple up on Disgracebook, AKA The Place Where Everyone is a Reality Star. He didn't mind the pics going up, but cautioned me not to disclose where they were taken. He didn't want his secret spots made public.

I doubted that anyone in Social Medialand would have given a squat, but I honored his request.

I doubt even more that anyone will even read these words, but I think I will keep my spots secret, too. I know some nice honeyhole junk shops and flea market vendors who always seem to have choice records for sale at unbeatable prices.

I made a 200 mile drive to check out the records at a town I have spent a lot of time in. I did some other stuff while I was there, but I'm a Record Hound, and that was my primary purpose.

Here are the fruits of my efforts.


I collect novelty/comedy records, and I've always wanted this one. I've seen it around numerous times, but never in collectible condition. This copy also has the booklet intact. And not for a couple of dollars. I always liked this show, and how it turned social mores upside down. Created by a liberal Jewish man, All in the Family portrayed a bigot who was not an evil person, just a product of his time. Archie Bunker worked hard, and his leftist son-in-law was the freeloader. A funny show that gave us something to think about.


Aw, you know I am a surf music aficionado. I love The Ventures and this was numero uno on my list of their records to find. Again, Ventures records are fairly common in the thrift shops, but finding them in good shape can be tough.


You did now ask, but had you done so I would tell you that Messrs Partridge and Moulding, of XTC, came into their own with the album that followed Drums and Wires: English Settlement. I like the early stuff, though, and Drums and Wires has eluded me for years. Note that I can obtain nearly anything I wish to own via the internet, but the fun is in the chase. I also like paying less for a record than I would for shipping alone when I shop online.


Root Boy Slim was an east coast party institution from the late 70's through the 80's. Like John Belushi's Bluto, from Animal House with a kickass blues-rock band, Root Boy was a drunken maniac who growled out hilarious songs and had a wicked stage presence. He was the very first real band I ever saw, opening for Crack the Sky! What a mismatched pairing. Root Boy was the real thing. Sort of like a funnier, more musically inclined, GG Allin. He was actually a frat brother of George W. Bush! I owned this one already, but I was not about to pass it up. I found it a good home with another lunatic who idolizes Root Boy.


I can't call myself a Belew fan across the board, but I like a lot of his stuff, and he is obviously one of the most unique and talented guitarists of all time. The list of bands and artists he has toured and recorded with is legendary. "Discovered by Frank Zappa...", and so on. Young Lions is one of my favorites, and I was shocked to see it in vinyl. It came out in a time when very little was coming out in the format. David Bowie, who Adrian toured with on more than one occasion, sings on two songs on Young Lions.


Say what, boy? Legendary funnyman and children's show host, Soupy Sales, did a record on...MOTOWN? Yes, that's right. It's not as good as it sounds, but A Bag of Soup is sort of fun. Soupy muggers and hams it up like a wiseguy singer, and does a parody number or two in between standards like This Guy's in Love With You. A nice addition to my collection of oddities.


I like the Dead about as much as I like cancer, but it is nearly impossible to find their records at giveaway prices. The jacket was kind of beat, and I almost didn't bother checking the actual vinyl. I was surprised to see that both records are in excellent condition. I wouldn't have it in my collection, but I know a Phishhead who was thrilled to obtain it.











That's about it. Not a giant haul, but it's all about quality, not quantity.


No comments:

Post a Comment